Monday, March 28, 2011

it's in the genes.

Cory and I met in a volleyball class and, so I knew he was competitive before we started dating. I just didn't know how much! I, on the other hand, have always known how competitive I am. Very competitive.
Who would have thought that such a sweet girl would turn out to be so cut throat? Not Barbie!
 So last week when we had a co-ed intramural soccer game Tuesday night and I had a women's intramural basketball game Wednesday night and we both had serious competitive problems arise, I'm not sure why I was surprised! 
I blame it on my genes. 
This is my handsome dad holding me as a baby. Doesn't he look like Seinfeld? Or John Travolta?
And this is my dad now. See how mean he can get?
A story about my dear old dad involves him getting into a full on fist fight on the volleyball courts in college. Another example would be the fact that he didn't let having 3 girls before finally getting a boy stand in his way of helping us set up political yard signs in our backyard to use as practice hurdles. So basically, he's very competitive. He sends me videos of him doing some daring thing almost daily and he whoops my butt in any competition without even blinking an eye. In fact, his "woo-hoo" taunts show how not bad he feels about winning. 



On Wednesday night I had a flash of my Dad. I vehemently disagreed with a referee and called him out on his inability to call a fair game by noticing very clear fouls. We were down by one with 16 seconds to go and we had the ball down on our sideline. We managed to get two shots off and both had at least 3 clear fouls which would have won us the game had they been called because we were in bonus. I was irate. Shaking and mad. I may have said a few things in the ref's general direction as I walked out of the gym to try and calm down in the chilly Utah air. This ref followed me out asking what it was I wanted to tell him. (It was more like, "Hey! Do you have something you wanna say?" "Ya! You did an awful job!") I proceeded to drill him with the inadequacies that I noticed and how he was getting paid and that I think he did a terrible job hold a conversation with him about how he could improve his referee skills for the future! 
The funny thing was that just less than 24 hours before, my handsome husband had also gotten into a little argument with a referee in soccer and I had tried to get him to look at it in a more calm light and that he shouldn't be so upset. Thank goodness that he didn't try doing that with me. I wanted to marinate in my anger. So I will let him be mad next time. Maybe I'll lie a little about the ref to egg him on too! Who knows? :)


After these experiences I've dreaded the level of competitiveness that our children will have. 
This is very clearly our child.
Heads Up Seven Up will become like a day of Olympic sports to them. Other kids won't want to play two square or tether ball with them either! Poor kids.

Luckily our level of competitiveness is healthy for our relationship! :)
On a different note, one of Cory's Christmas presents finally came in the mail today! 
I'm not sure if I am feeding an addiction, or maybe this will make him not feel the need to always be on his ESPN app or watching all 3 ESPN channels. (P.S. Why do they need to have so many ESPN channels? They just say the same things. We all do just fine with one Food Network and HGTV!) This particular issue is the baseball preview and I think his heart may have stopped when he opened it. 

2 comments:

Rachel U said...

let's TP that ref.

Unknown said...

Bree, your blog is hilarious. Love it!

Post a Comment